Annual General Report October 2016-Septmber 2017
PCHOUM BEN Ceremony on Saturday 1st October 2016 at Amaravati
Buddhist Monastery. Funds raised during Bang Skaul Ceremony by Dr Sambath Heng
and Mr Tan Nam were donated to the temple at the end of the Ceremony.
There were great numbers of our community’s members turned up with beautiful
traditional costume and participation of the Royal Embassy of Cambodia staff members,
and the families. Followed by AGM from 2pm.- 4pm.
Winter gathering Party: Saturday 17th December 2016 at the
VLC Community Centre from 6pm-mid night.
Children meeting with Santa for a special gifts (from Parents) & Chocolate
There were good numbers of guests and community’s members turned up, including
new members that have been living around South East London, HE Meas Kim Heng
Ambassador of the Royal Embassy of Cambodia, the family and all staff members
to Celebrate the WINTER festive before end of the year,
Our dearest member the late Mrs Sophal PEN The 100th day remembrance
service was held Saturday 8th April 2017 at Chithurst Monastery, Petersfield
Bangskaul service and blessing prayers were conducted by MrTan Nam, Ajahn Garuneko
Abbot of Chithurst Monastery, with all monks, community members and guests.
Bangskaul Donations were forwarded directly from: Mr & Mrs Pen Eam, the
children, family members and all, to the Monastery.
KHMER NEW YEAR Celebration on Saturday 15th April 2017:
- Ceremony opening and greeting speech by Mrs Sobopha Owen
- Introduction of the New Executive members for year 2017
- Introduction the member of Student Association group to the UK year 2017
- 5 minutes Greeting Speech by Mr Chey Ratha Counsellor from the Royal Embassy
of Cambodia to the UK
- The Buddhist Ceremony was conducted by Mr Tan Nam: requesting the Three
Refuges and Five Precepts and Bang Skaul
- Chanting blessing by five Monks and Nuns from Amaravati Buddhist Monastery
- Funds raised by Dr Sambath Heng during Bang Skaull (amount approx. £777.00)
were donated to the Monks at the end of the Ceremony
- Dharma talks by Ajahn Nyanarato to bless the Cambodian New Year.
- Gifts Monks packs donated from Casunik, the Royal Embassy of Cambodia and
- Food offering to Monks and followed by the guests and the community members.
- From 2pm Music performance by guest singer performers from France: Mr &
Mrs Sam Bernard (Cambodian Idol), Mr Samley Hong (Cambodian Rock star since
- Blessing dance by Mrs Dinal Blomfield.
- Hanuman Dance, and Wey Reap traditional dances performed by Mr Kakada Pich.with
assistance of Mrs Rithy Keo Pich.
- Cambodian comedy: Ayai & Chat show by: Mrs Dinal Blomfield and Mr Kunthea
- Traditional songs and Yi Kee performed by Mr & Mrs Sam Bernard.
- Distribution of Easter Eggs to all Children .and Raffles prize draw open
by Mr Kao Samnang, Mr Pen Eam, Counsellor Chey Ratha, HE Cheap Davuth with
assistance of Dr Sambath, Mr Dara Than, Ms Sovanvattey Chan, Mr Disovankiri
- End of shows assembly: Thank you speech Mrs Sobopha Owen
- Distribution of flowers, gifts to all performers, by our seniors members:
Mrs Tan Mien, Mr Tan Nam, Dr Sambath, Mrs Siena Tan-Chea, Mr Tan Chea, Mr
Pen Eam, Miss Sudhari Unn, Counsellor Chey Ratha, Mr Kao Samnang First secretary
and HE Cheap Davuth.
- Open dance by Khmer Ramvong traditional/popular dance with Cambodian live
music performers group from France.
- Live Music from the VLC Centre leaded by Mr Lai (the Chairman of the VLC)
& 4 team members, performing beautiful pieces of live music, saxophone
melodies with participation of Mr Sam Bernard, Mr Samley Hong, from 6pm-8pm
followed by Cambodian Disco Dancing, Ramvong until 10.30pm. We had an enjoyable
full day of Celebration.
- Support team:
- Day Manager: Mr Usaly Tan
- Main show coordinator of the day: Mr Dennis Radsky-Fisher
- Book keeper/Reception/Raffles sale: Mr Thy Hy, Mr Sinang Chrea, Ms
Rachana Pich, Ms Sabrina Pich, Mr Dennis Radsky-Fisher
- DJ Traditional Khmer Ramvong and Disco dancing: Mr Sorel Nou, with
Assistand of Mr Nadenh Poan.
- Food catering Manager: Mrs Bopha Chan-Pak Samay.
- Food catering provider: Mrs Siena Tan-Chea, Mrs Chan Chea, Miss Pranee
Nou, Mrs Suphali Unn-Nesbit, Mrs Bopha Chan Pak-Samay, Mrs Sim Nadavy,
Mrs Raksmey Moung, Mrs Sorel Nou. Mr & Mrs Cheap Davuth (from Cambodia),
all community members and all guests.
- Cambodian live Musicians co-ordinator & driver by Mrs Suphali Unn-Nesbit.
Students Association group: Mr Dara Than (lead Co-ordinator), Ms Sovanvattey
Chan (MC), Mr Disovankiri Boung(MC) and 4 Students for assistants, Mr
Kunthea Kou from SOAS.
- Stage/hall decoration team: Mrs Sobopha Owen, Mr UsalyTan,, Mr Sinang
Chrea, Mrs Dinal Blomfield, Mr Kunthea Kou, Mrs Suphali Nesbit co-ordinator
and transporter the performers to VLC for sound check. Student Association
Group: Leaded by Mr Dara Than, Ms Sovanvattey Chan, Mr Disovankiri Boung
and some students.
- Clear up team after the Party: Mrs Sobopha Owen, Mr UsalyTan, Mr Rithy
Hy, Mr Sinang Chrea,, Mr & Mrs Sorel, Nami Nou, Miss Pranee Nou, Mr
& Mrs Sunit & Bopha Pak Samay, Mr Kunthea Kou, Mr Dennis Radsky-Fisher,
Mr Dayanni So, Mrs Visal So, Students Association Group: Mr Dara Than
and all team members.
We are honoured by the number of guests, including:
- Monks from Amaravati Buddhist Monastery.
- The Royal Embassy of Cambodia’s staff members, the families Mr &
Mrs Cheap Davuth
- Representative of Cambodian delegation from Cambodia.
- Seniors members and community members travelled far from around the UK and
- Cambodian community living in France.
- Mr Lai the Chairman of The VLC and staff members.
- Performers team
We are touched by all new and existing members who had travelled from far distances
to support our Traditional National day. The venue was completely full and we
all had a fantastic time!
INTERNATIONAL Thod Pha Pa: fund raising event on Sunday 11th
June 2017 to support Chithurst Buddhist Monastery. Donation raised by International
team organiser, received on the day was forwarded directly to the temple
To support Pchoum Ben activities: Saturday 1st October 2016, the generous donations
from HE Meas Kim Heng of £500.00
To support the Winter Gathering (Xmas Party): Saturday 17th December 2016,
the generous donation from HE Meas Kim Heng of £500.00
To support the Khmer New Year Celebration year 2017, the generous donations
- HE & Mrs Cheap Davuth of £1000.00 together with 13 team members
- HE Cheap Davuth, donated £500.00 to all performers, Musicians, in
respect of encouragement the continuation of keeping Khmer traditional Art,
dancing , Music alive.
- Mr Chey Ratha together with all Embassy staff members of £300.00
- Mr Usaly Tan of £200.00
- Mr Tan Chea of £120.00
- Mrs Sobopha Owen of £100.00
- Mr & Mrs Moeung Phok of £35.00
All extras generous donations on the day are recorded in the book:
- Mrs Suphali Unn-Nesbit co-ordinated the musicians, singers and provided
- All community members for the kind contribution of cooked food, donations
- The VLC staff members for their assistance.
To ensure the availability of the venue, we have booked ahead:
- BADMINTON: Sunday 15th October 2017 Tournament (4th year)
between Cambodian community’s members and Lao community’s members,
and this year is organised by Casunik.
- 2pm-5pm Tournament (Sport centre TBC).
- 6pm-10.30pm: Dinner re-gathering The VLC Community Centre
- The Buddhist Monastery Chithurst, Petersfield: Sunday 22nd October 2017
- The Buddhist Monastery Amaravati, Hemel Hampstead: Sunday 29th October
Khmer New Year Celebration: To ensure the availability of
the venue, we have provisionally booked ahead,
Saturday 14th April 2018 at the VLC Centre.
I would like to express my gratitude to you all for your continued support
and help to our community, which is in line with the common aim of CASUNIK,
for the benefit of all Cambodians in the UK, thereby ensuring a positive image
of Cambodia internationally.
On behalf of Casunik Executive committee members,
Mrs Sobopha Owen