Annual General Report October 2015-October 2016
PCHOUM BEN Ceremony on Saturday 10th October 2015 at Amaravati
Buddhist Monastery. Funds raised during Bang Skaul Ceremony by Dr Sambath Heng
and Mr Tan Nam were donated to the temple at the end of the Ceremony.
There were great numbers of our community’s members turned up with beautiful
traditional costume and participation of HE & Mrs Meas Kim Heng, the family,
all staffs members from the Royal Embassy of Cambodia, followed by AGM from
KHMER NEW YEAR Celebration on Saturday 16th April 2016:
- Ceremony opening and greeting speech by Mrs Sobopha Owen.
- Introduction of the New Executive members for year 2016.
- Introduction the member of Student Association group to the UK year 2016.
- 10 minutes Speech by HE Meas Kim Heng from the Royal Embassy of Cambodia
to the UK.
- The Buddhist Ceremony was conducted by Mr Tan Nam: requesting the Three
Refuges and Five Precepts and Bang Skaul
- Chanting blessing by five Monks and Nuns from Amaravati Buddhist Monastery
- Funds raised by Dr Sambath Heng during Bang Skaull were donated to the Monks
at the end of the Ceremony.
- Dharma talks by Sister Bodhi Palla of Amaravati
- Five-minute mediation leaded by Sister Bodhi Palla followed by distribution
of Religious books to the community.
- Gifts Monks packs donated from Casunik, the Royal Embassy of Cambodia and
- Food offering to Monks and followed by the guests and the community members.
- From 2pm Music performance by guest singer performers from France: Mr&Mrs
Sam Bernard (Cambodian Idol), Mr Samley Hong (Cambodian Rock star since 1970).
Co-ordinated by Mrs Suphali Nesbit and sound-control by Mr Sorel Nou.
- We had an enjoyable Khmer Roamvong traditional/popular dance and followed
by Disco Dancing.
- Raffles prize draw: open by guests invited, Mr Kao Samnang, Miss Chhun Leang
Heng, Mr Dara Than, with assistance of Dr Sambath.
- Support team:
- Day Manager: Mr Usaly Tan
- Book keeper/Reception/Raffles sale: Mr Thy Hy, Mr Sinang Chrea, Mr Dara
- DJ Traditional Khmer Ramvong and Disco dancing: Mr Sorel Nou
- Photographers: Mr Sudarin Unn, Students group leaded by Mr Dara Than.
- Helper for food& catering, on table set up by Mrs Ngan Bou, Mrs
- Students Association group:
- Mr Dara Than (lead Co-ordinator)
- Mr Pitou Keo (reception)
- Ms Sovanvattey Chan (MC)
- Mr Keith Naro (MC)
- Mr Semnarorth Nay (Photographer)
- Ms Sokunthea Hang (Photographer)
- Mr Samnang Srey (Photographer)
- Ms Chhun Leang Heng (Assistant-Raffles Prize draw)
- Ms Eliza Chan (Reception-Raffles sales)
- Mr Panha Heng (Assistant)
- Mr Channpeaktra Hong (Assistant)
- Mr Sary Vithiea Peang (Assistant)
- Stage/hall decoration team:
Mrs Sobopha Owen, Mr UsalyTan,, Mr & Mrs Sinang, Wanli Chrea, Mrs
Suphali Nesbit co-ordinator and transportation of the performers to VLC
Student Association Group: Leaded by Mr Dara Than.
- Clear up team after the Party:
Mrs Sobopha Owen, Mr UsalyTan, Mr Rithy Hy, Mr & Mrs Sinang, Wanli
Chrea, Mr & Mrs Bou Mea, Mr & Mrs Sorel, Nami Nou, Miss Pranee
Nou, Mr Saroeuy Long.
Students Association Group: Mr Dara Than and all team members.
We are honoured by the number of guests, including:
- Monks from Amaravati Buddhist Monastery.
- HE Meas Kim Heng from the Royal Embassy of Cambodia to the UK, the family
and all staffs members.
- Seniors members and community’s members travelled far from around
the UK and abroad.
- Mr Lai the Chairman of The VLC and staff members.
INTERNATIONAL Thod Pha Pa: Fund raising event on Sunday 19tht
June 2016 to support Chithurst Buddhist Monastery. Donation received on the
day was forwarded directly to the temple by organiser team.
Our dearest member the late Mr Nou Thol passed away on Thursday 17th
June, 2016 at the age of 81. Funeral was held on Friday 1st July. The
100th day remembrance service will be held on Tuesday 27th September at the
Thai temple in Maidstone.
BADMINTON tournament: 3rdyear: was on Sunday 18th Sept 2016
between Cambodian community members and Lao community members, is organised
by Lao community and this year again the trophy goes to the Lao community. But
everyone enjoyed the re-gathering, and had a good-fun time together.
To support Pchoum Ben activities, the generous donations from:
- HE Meas Kim Heng: £500.00
- Mr Ged Scrivener: £100.00
To support the Khmer New Year Celebration year 2016, the generous donations
- HE Meas Kim Heng, £500.00 and delicious dishes of Cambodian home made
- Mr Ged Srivener £100.00
- Mr Usaly Tan £100.00
- Mrs Sobopha Owen £100.00
- Mrs Suphali Unn-Nesbit co-ordinated the performers and provided transportation
A huge thanks to all the community members for the kind contribution of cooked
food (are recorded) and assistance including the VLC staff members for their
- At Citaviveka Monastery (Chithurst/Petersfield) on Sunday 30th October 2016.
- At Amaravati Buddhist Temple (Hemel Hemptead) on Sunday 6th November 2016
- To ensure the availability of hall for the future Cambodian New year Celebration,
I have booked ahead the hall at the VLC Centre on Saturday 15th April 2017.
I would like to express my gratitude to you all for your continued support
and help to our community, which is in line with the common aim of CASUNIK,
for the benefit of all Cambodians in the UK, thereby ensuring a positive image
of Cambodia internationally.
Mrs Sobopha Owen