Annual General Report December 2012 - September 2013
Christmas Party Saturday 15h December 2012:
It was a successful night attended by around 100 people from the community
plus friends; parents and children, teenagers, students group. There was the
opportunity to meet up with Santa Claus (Mr Brian Parnell) and Disco Dancing
Khmer New Year Celebration Saturday 13th April 2013:
• The Buddhist Ceremony was conducted by Mr Tan Nam by request of five
precepts, Bang skaul.
• Chanting blessing by special guest senior monk invited from Cambodia
Reverend Yos Hut, 5 Monks & Nuns from Amaravati Monastery.
• 5 minutes Mediation leaded by Sister Bodhi Palla of Amaravati.
• National Anthem.
• A speech by HE Hor Nambora, ambassador of the Royal Embassy of Cambodia
to the UK.
• A speech by Mrs Sobopha Owen, reporting a feed back of activities strategy
up to date.
• Bangskol fund raised by Dr Sambath and donated directly to the Monks
• Dhamma Talks by Rev. Yos Hut.
• Afternoon performances presented by stage presenter: Mr Navuth Ly and
Miss Amara Eang.
• Traditional blessing dance by Mrs Dinal Blomfield.
• Songs by new talent: Mr So Maneat, Miss Van.
• Trio Comedy performed by Maneat, Dinal and Van.
• Chhayam folkloric parade dancing for welcoming the new spirit of the
New Year Tevada, lead by Mr Kakada Pich and Mrs Rithy Keo Pich. Dancers are:
Mrs Sobopha Owen, Mr Usaly Tan, Mr Sorel Nou, Miss Sok Chhoeun Hang, Mr Kakada
Pich, Mr Kim Thavuth, Mr Sinang Crea, Mr Rady Mok (student), a rising star:
Master Richard Man
• Closing Ceremony by distribution of appreciation certificate to the
Students Association group, and souvenirs packs to all performers by Mr Tan
Nam, Dr HP Sambath, Mr & Mrs Tan Chea.
• Music disco for afternoon and evening dancing organised by Mr Sorel
Nou until 9pm.
• Mr Mrs Tan Chea: extras food catering
• Mr Mrs Moeng Phok: flowers & beverage drinks for the monks (as a
• Dr Sambath: Raising fund for Bangskoll, and forwarded directly to the
• Treasurer &financial assistance: Mr Usaly Tan
• General Manager: Mr Usaly Tan
• Reception and raffles sale: Mr Rithy Hy, Mr Rattanak Keo (Student).
• Assistant to reception: Mr Yuvakratana Som, Mr Rattanak Keo.
• General Hall assistant: Kasy Tan, Chorng Bunawath,Choungtech Lim, Sopheakvitou
Sann, Dara Inn,Keopisey Yin,Chansopheak Sor,Sophakvitou Sann,Choungtech Lim,Bunawath
Chorng,Kasy Tan, Miss Thi Da Gnaen.
• Stage decoration team: Mrs Sobopha Owen, Mr Usaly Tan, Mr Tu (VLC member)
Mr Navuth Ly (Head of Student Association), 5 Students, Mr Long Sareouy for
Transport of materials/Assistance of stage decoration.
• Stage presenter: Mr Navuth Ly and Miss Amara Eang (Students)
• Arts Dance director: Mr Kakada Pich
• Arts Dance director, costume: Mrs Rithy Keo-Pich
• Food & Catering Assistance: Mrs Soly Jenkison, Mrs Dinal Blomfield,
Mrs Chandy Parnell.
• Sound System Setup: Mr Sam Ruos
• DJ Traditional Khmer Ramvong & Disco dancing: Mr Sorel Nou.
• Photographer: Mr Moeng Phok, Mr Leang Tech Hour (Student).
We are honoured by the numbers of guest from the UK and abroad including:
• Seniors monks from Amaravati Monastery, Reverend Yos Hut (Senior Monk
invited from watt Langka, Phnom Penh), The Royal Embassy of Cambodia’s
staff members, Mr Jake Ferguson and the family, Mrs Kristine Welling from HCVS
• Seniors members and community’s members from around the UK.
• European & Cambodian guests from different places, national and
• Students group from all around the UK
• The VLC staffs members
• Local Police security officers: organised by Mr Jake Ferguson.
Approximately 200 people during the day and 150 at the evening dancing-party.
We had once again another successful event:
We are very touched, despite the world economy crisis by everyone’s effort
and the time in taking part, to help to celebrate the only one Special day of
the year, highlighting the Union of a big Family.
Other Community Events
• International Thod Pha Pa fund raising event on Sunday 16th June 2013
for Chithurst Monastery. Donation received on the day was forwarded to the temple
by Mr David Glendining and the team.
• Pchoum Ben Ceremony on Saturday 28th September 2013 at Amaravati Temple,
followed by AGM.
• Kathina International on Sunday 20th October 2013 at Chithurst Monastery.
To ensure the availability of venue for future events, I have also made provisional
advance bookings ahead at the VLC Centre as follows:
• The Xmas Party: Saturday 7th December 2013.
• The Khmer New Year (Chaul Chhnam): Saturday 12th April 2014.
• To support Casunik’s events for year 2012- 2013, HE Hor Nambora
has kindly donated 1000.00GBP.
• To all community’s members, the monks from Amaravati temple for
attending the late Mrs Tan Nam Funeral dated 22nd May 2013.
I would like to express my gratitude to you all for another successful year
.Your continued support and help to our community are in line with the common
aim of the Society, striving to work for the benefit of all Cambodians in the
UK thereby ensuring a positive image of Cambodia internationally.
Mrs Sobopha Owen